Sunday, May 14, 2023

The Properties of God [Spoken Word]

 property alone is a cruel formula 

It makes a goat-shaped demon hump your wife

Property in conflict 

God in eyes in pyramids in circles in rectangles

In hands

Only one way out and that’s down

The food chain

Beneath the insects

After all, our cycles are connected

Shit, that wasn’t God

That was just surveillance

I keep forgetting God is a metonym

A name capable of being replaced

With anything

But when I say God, please be advised

I mean time.


Each person bred into the conflict 

Becomes exhausted by the weight

Of their ascent

It’s like you’re being torn in half

Sectioned like dissection

Compartmentalized and martyrmade

Into sockets of shame

Like some leeching lord

Sucking prayers from primed necks

Sectioned at your beck and call

I am so sick of every moment 

Of fear I’ve surrendered to this place

That eats good people a little at a time

Until they’re so brutalized and bitter

They can only think of themselves

One step ahead

Of their next move

Feels like they’re a piece

On a board

Not even a player

Not even a game

When your life is on the line

It makes you bitter

When the house’s money

Is a mortgage and the major payoff

Is avoiding a landlord

You’re still renting

That house will outlive you

Everything you own will outlive you

Even after it’s thrown away


[(o)][(o)][(o)][(o)][(o)][(o)][(o)][(o)][(o)]

I need more stuff to read in spoken word events and find a lot of my writing doesn't translate well. So, I tried some spoken word writing and thought I'd post it here. Then, I can click on my blog to access the writing and read it at an event from my phone. American Pragmatics!

No comments:

Post a Comment