Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Understanding the Book of Job

 The Book of Job is not strictly a Hebrew text. It's origins are significantly earlier in Babylonian literature. To understand why a book like Job is important to an audience, you have to understand the moral system of the Babylonians, Sumerians, and Near Eastern Pagans.

They believed in numerous gods and goddesses such as Marduk and Ishtar. But they also believed that every individual had a personal god. You could curry favor with your personal god by offering them votives, charity toward others, and prayers. You could offend your personal god by neglecting them, harming others, and cruelty. Those who offended their personal god would face misfortune, evil, and death.

But the world doesn't strictly work like that and narratives like Job address this problem which remained relevant when the Bible was collated, are still relevant, and will ever remain so. But rarely is the Book of Job taught in terms of Babylonian spirituality.

Essentially, Job leaves open the possibility that the moral will suffer and the evil will succeed, and you're never going to understand why. 

The Unintended Cruelty of the Eyes

Job faces unspeakable misfortune but maintains, against all logic, that he has been faithful to God. No one believes him because if he were, then he wouldn't be suffering such misfortune. Ultimately, the only solace Job can take is in death, where he is restored in the afterlife because he did lead a good, just life.

Ultimately, the Book of Job isn't about Job at all, but the community that's judging him. They assume (wrongly) that they know what God thinks. Ultimately, it compounds Job's suffering, leaves him with no community support, and the story clearly makes it obvious that there is no legitimate reason for that. 

ChatGPT writes hard-boiled prose poem from the perspective of Job

I lost it all. My kin, my crib, my stuff, my health - all went up in smoke. I ain't got no clue why it happened, and I sure as hell don't know what I did to deserve it.

Some folks reckon it was a test, a challenge from the Almighty himself. A way to see if I could take the hit and keep on ticking. Well, I can tell you, I didn't take it lying down. I cursed, I raged, I begged, and I pleaded. I wanted answers. I wanted to know why the Big Guy upstairs would let something like this happen to one of His own.

But now, with the dust settled, I'm left to wonder. What if it wasn't a test? What if it was just a roll of the dice, a twist of fate, a reminder that the world don't give a damn about you or me? What if there ain't no rhyme or reason to the pain and suffering we endure?

That's a scary thought. To think that all that loss and agony was just a big, fat nothing burger. But maybe that's the truth. Maybe we're all just cogs in the machine, subject to forces we can't control.

I don't know what to believe no more. But one thing's for sure: I'm still standing. I survived the hit, I weathered the storm. And even if I don't know why it happened, I know that I'm still breathing, still fighting. And that's gotta count for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment