Friday, March 3, 2023

An Object Among Eyes (poem)


In public spaces

There is no ‘I’

There is only ‘me’

And I know that anywhere

I can be seen

Watched by closed circuit eyes

Waiting for something to happen

Something to become news

And I remember, then

That I can become news

That I am a subject here

In the other sense

The sense of kings

Rightly, I am only an object

Among eyes


I become regular here

A fixture 

I blend in

I used to stand out

When I was younger

But now I settle 

into the stone buildings

And concrete 

Like a gray man 

On his way from a contract

And I remember the boy

Who fell for his own reflection

And I’m reminded of an orange troll

A yellow flower

And the gray man

One with the background


+---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---++---+

Sometimes, it's nice to generate a poem using nothing but your own brain. This poem is inspired by a description of the poet Stan Rice's style "paranoiac surreal". I can fully commit myself to developing a sense of the "paranoiac surreal" if I haven't incidentally done so already.

No comments:

Post a Comment